Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 April 2008

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 April 2008

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 15 April 2008 at 08:00am PT for
60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    * date : 8 April 2008
    * URL  : http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00015.html

    Accepted by acclamation.

3.  Business:

    1.  Organization of the DITA Specification

        1.  ITEM: Rethinking the DITA Reference Docs (resuming from last meeting)
            http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00003.html (comments from Robert)

            DECISION/ACTION: Robert to implement the design as discussed so-far
            and produce a prototype.

            CLOSED.

        2.  ITEM: DITA 1.2 Packages (was "Updates on remaining SC deliverables")
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00050.html (Ogden wrap up)

            Jeff: There are 3 things really:
            1) overall packaging
            2) actual docs (arch spec, lang spec, ..)
            3) organization of DTD/schemas/other files that go along with this

            Jeff's email breaks things up in to several packages (families of
            related things). There is a series of questions at the bottom of the
            message.

            The TC reviewed the list of Jeff's questions:

            I. Should the Learning and Training topics and ditabase doctype shells
            include the software, ui, and programming domains?  John thinks they
            should, but will check with the subcommittee.

                John to check with the SC; would appreciate input from the TC.

                Chris: Machinery SC has discussed this and I sent their requests to
                the TC. Decision was to keep them, and give the user an option to
                remove them.

            II. Do we want a Learning and Training map doctype shell that is based
            on bookmap?  John says yes.

                The TC agreed to include bookmap as part of the 1.2 release. This
                bookmap should be named something like 'learning bookmap'.

            III. Is it nuts to include so many variations of Ditabase doctype
            shells? Do we want a ditabase in each package? Should we leave this
            up to the sub-committees?

                Extensive discussion on whether ditabase should be in each
                package or we should minimize their use.

                Re the learning side, John will discuss with the SC.

                The TC is leaning towards one in the complete package, one
                equivalent to the 1.1 ditabase, and perhaps in any SC-specific
                specializations.

                DECISION: Have one ditabase equivalent to the current 1.1
                ditabase plus any others that are requested by SCs. The spec must
                include documentation on how to create your own if it's not
                available where it's needed.

            IV: Should we include the approved Best Practice documents as an
            informative part of the core package? Should we combine the existing
            best practice documents into a single document?

                The TC is leaning towards packaging all best practice documents
                in a single package.

                The TC does not want to combine all translation BPs into a single
                document, because they are not related and are used independently.

                ACTION: Gershon to try to organize the TC download page to provide
                the up to date links and better organization.

                ACTION: Gershon to talk to Mary about stabilizing the Word OASIS template so that we can
                go ahead and develop a DITA-OT plugin to source our docs in DITA and deliver PDF and HTML
                in the required OASIS format.

            V. Which map document type shells should include the Delayed Resolution
            domain? Basic map? Technical Content Map? Bookmap? Leaning Map?

                Robert: It's currently in the technical content map and
                classification map.

                Michael is keen on making it available globally (for dynamic
                publishing).

                DECISION: Put them in by default and omit from a package only if
                specifically requested.

            VI. We have a constrained task doctype shell as part of the Technical
            Content Package. Do we need to include an unconstrained task?  If so,
            in which package?  Or is the Machine Industry Task an unconstrained
            task that can serve this role?

                Chris clarified that the Machinery task is currently the same as
                the generic task. The domain just replaces two of the generic
                elements with different elements from the MI domain.

                Jeff: No basic or generic unconstrained task. Only constrained
                task. Will also have a machinery-specific task in the MI package.

            VII. Notice that the Delayed Resolution domain is included in the
            core package, that it is not included in any doctype shells.  Is this
            OK?

                Yes, it's OK

            VIII. Notice that the xNAL domain is included in the core package,
            but it is only included in the Bookmap doctype shell.

                DECISION: Split the xNAL domain along with arch spec and lang
                ref into a separate directory and package it as part of core
                package.

            --out of time; resume with # IX next meeting--

        3.  ITEM: mime type for DITA?
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200803/msg00042.html (initial post--Hennum)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00052.html (responses to Erik's follow up)

        4.  ITEM: DITA XML Schema backwards compatibility and conformance
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200803/msg00050.html and following
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200803/msg00057.html (Sirois' latest proposal)

    2.  ITEM: Need Clarification on Implications of Different List Markup Patterns
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200802/msg00011.html (original note from Kimber)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00058.html (Kimber base proposal)
        * see ensuing list discussion--much!

    3.  DITA 1.2 open items (various notes from the list):

        bodydiv within conbody or refbody: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00046.html

        sectiondiv within existing sections: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00043.html

        Missing longquoteref from 12050a: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00032.html

        element for @standby: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00026.html

        Adding itemgroup and note to substep: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00047.html

        Extent of taskbody constraint: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00048.html

        Questions about Controlled Values / Taxonomies (not sent to list): http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/scheme_map_clarifications

        Questions about Machine Industry specializations (not sent to list): http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/MI_Task_implementation_questions

    4.  ITEM: Discussion on Draft charter for DITA Adoption SC
        * resume when JoAnn is next on the call

    5.  NOTE: new draft of DITA 1.2 DTDs uploaded:
        http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200804/msg00056.html

4.  Announcements/Opens