Subject: Re: [dita] Rationale for Filtering Logic in Architecture Spec

Hi Jim,

In DITA 1.1 you can set the default behavior to exclude or include, and also override for particular attributes as well as particular values.

For example, you could set default to exclude for everything, but set the default to include for just platform attribute values.

Michael Priestley
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Earley, Jim" <Jim.Earley@flatironssolutions.com>

05/06/2008 02:15 PM

"dita@lists.oasis-open.org" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[dita] Rationale for Filtering Logic in Architecture Spec

Dear TC Members,

Pardon my ignorance on this particular subject, but I'm looking for clarification on the filtering logic for conditional metadata.  To paraphrase the Architecture Spec (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the logic is to create a conditional processing profile (DITAVAL file) that explicitly identifies the values to be excluded (otherwise, the content is included).  I'm not concerned with flagging right now.

The way I understand it now, unless you explicitly declare an exclusion, it will be included. I have several clients that want the reverse.  In other words, the processing model would:

* Include all elements where:
    a) there is a matching value for the identified attribute, OR
    b) the identified attribute is not specified on the element
* Exclude elements that
    a) the identified attribute is set, but there isn't a matching value

Some of my clients make heavy use of conditional processing, where it makes more sense to specify that the current collection of topics should be processed for audience A, platform B and product C rather than explicitly excluding audiences D, E, and F, and so forth.

What I'm wondering is why the specification only identifies the explicit exclusion model.  Wouldn't it be reasonable to suggest that a DITA processor could implement an explicit inclusion model also?

Any insight you can provide would be very helpful.

Best Regards,

Jim Earley