Subject: RE: [dita] MIME type for DITA - fragment identifier issue

Not true.  They don't need to be namespaced if they are
registered in the W3C XPointer Registry at
http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpointer-schemes/

> I agree with Erik's gut feeling: we may as well jump
> on the rather large bandwagon of implementations that
> are ignoring XPointer.

It's a shame.  There are some W3C specs I'm happy to ignore,
but XPointer isn't one of them.  Proper URIs and fragment
identifiers are crucial to working on the Web, and there
would be advantages to us to be conforming to XPointer
(though it would take another message to discuss them).

It's understandable but unfortunate that the original DITA
design wasn't aware of the XPointer syntax and that now
we are stuck with legacy.  It may be that our best path
for 1.1 is to continue as we are doing for now, but I'd
rather plan to fix this in 2.0, and I wouldn't want to
characterize our unfortunate situation as jumping on a
bandwagon of people ignoring a perfectly good standard.

paul