Subject: RE: [dita] Proposal for Consideration: Default Behavior for List Items

I have withdrawn my objection as being impractical to apply to DITA, on
the backward-compatibility grounds that Michael raised. To these you,
Eliot, have added (1) architectural grounds and (2) application scope
grounds.

Andrzej identified inadvertent consequences for translation that call
for careful reconsideration. IMO this requires a much deeper semantic
analysis for restricted domains, as in http://mlp-xml.sourceforge.net/.

The following two comments are a bit off topic. If the second one merits
further discussion it might belong in a different thread.

I would cavil about Elliot's point (2) that there are concerns of
content developers that are pretty universal, which should be
distinguished from those specific to technical documentation. The point
is academic in the current context, given the above, but may apply
elsewhere. Anyway, I would guess that a great many of such concerns
raised from the tech docs world fail adequately to distinguish
structure/semantics from rendering/presentation.

Point (1) below underscores a confusion that may be prevalent in the
user base. It seems to me that it is common for vendors and consultants
to promote the use of vanilla DITA and to counsel their customers to
minimize specialization. Yes, users should proceed cautiously and
circumspectly with specialization, but if they think that it is a DITA
best practice to use only the base content models they are badly
misunderstanding that guidance. Certainly, minimizing specialization
simplifies implementation, customization, and support; possibly some
vendors or consultants do not adequately communicate the point; possibly
some do not fully embrace it.

	/BN