Subject: Re: AW: AW: [dita] Machine Industry Task question

Hi Chris,

> So the only way we found to add the <closereqs><reqconds> at the correct
> place with a domain specialization, was by specializing it out of
example.
> As example has the same content model as section and as example appears
at
> the same position as closereqs has to appear. I am open to any better
> proposal to achieve the same goal.

With DITA 1.2, section and example no longer have exactly the same model,
because section is getting the <sectiondiv> element that was not added to
example. Aside from that issue though, I see two alternatives for how to
specialize.

One is to have the domain specialize from prereq and postreq. This prevents
us from having elements that are semantically identical but completely
unrelated. It also allows your closereqs to appear in the location you
need. The downside of this is that the domain can only be used in task and
specializations of task.

Another alternative is to use a structural specialization. This also allows
you to specialize from prereq and postreq, so it is semantically correct.
It is easier to maintain and to specialize from, because you do not need a
constraint module (this also means DITA 1.1 based processing tools can
understand it, which may be a plus). The down sides are that you need two
additional elements (machinetask and machinetaskbody), and that you need to
use or specialize from the machinetask module in order to get these
elements.

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)