Subject: RE: [dita] Language specification items

Hi Jeff -

> In all four of the cases you outlined in your reply, when you say with
> or without navtitle you mean with or without @navtitle and with or
> without a <navtitle> element within <topicmeta> within the current
> element, right?

Right.

> What makes something a topichead or a topicgroup?

It's a class attribute that includes " mapgroup-d/topichead " or includes "
mapgroup-d/topicgroup ". The other stuff is there implicitly, but I
wouldn't search for the whole group as a string, as the number of spaces
between tokens may differ after further specialization.

> Imagine a new specialization for use in maps based on topicref or a
> specialization of topicref, ...
> ... disallowing @navtitle, navtitle, @href, and @keyref, but it wouldn't
> automatically get the error conditions outlined in your first two items.
> Or would it?

It would not.

> Or said another way, the error conditions are defined for compatibility
> with DITA 1.0 and 1.1 and are based on an element being a topichead or
> topicgroup or a specialization of topichead or topicgroup.

I suppose you could say it that way. Personally I wouldn't necessarily say
it's for compatibility with DITA 1.0 or 1.1 - I'd say it's to maintain the
identity of those elements or their specializations as a topichead and
topicgroup.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)