Subject: AW: [dita] hazard statement widths

We have discssed this issue in the machine industry subcommittee and came up
with the following answer.

We understand the request by Paul Grosso. But adding such a warning into the
specs, mentioning that a author should not specify a hazardsymbol width
wider then the width of the hazardstatement, is an affront to the
intelligence of the author. And if an author would make this unintentional,
a warning in the specs would not have avoided it.

There is no necessity to warn users or avoid that an author specifies a
bigger hazardsymbol width then the available space.

The recommendation of the Machine Industry Subcommittee to face this problem
is:
1. We recommend that in the stylesheets of the DITA Open Toolkit the
rendering of a hazard statement must be aligned to the ANSI standard for
warning lables. This includes to specify a maximum or default value for the
width of Hazardsymbols as well as all other layouting recommendations by
ANSI for hazardstatments. If an author uses attribute values which are not
inline with the ANSI standard, they just will be ignored.
2. For DITA 1.3 we are going to discuss what attributes will be required and
which are not required in note and hazardstatement. We e.g. need additional
attributes defining the different panel arrangements according to ANSI.

Best regards

Chris