Subject: RE: [dita] use of <term>

I see no harm in the spec giving indications to vendors as to what they should be developing.

At present, glossaries are labor intensive, error prone, and often omitted although desired.

This is an example of how use cases may not be being communicated to vendors, and the spec can help close that loop. Relevance to adoption is obvious.

    /B

From: Christian Kravogel [mailto:christian.kravogel@seicodyne.ch]
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:49 AM
To: 'Alan Houser'; 'dita'
Subject: AW: [dita] use of <term>

I pretty much like working with xquery and the idea that this problem should be left to impementers or actually be solved by the stylesheet. But I am not sure if that is reliable with all languages and character sets.

Regardless if that task can be solved by implementers in all cases, we should not generate expectations to future DITA implementations in the langref over a period of 3 DITA releases.

Either we should provide associative linking to matching glossary entries as it is mentioned in the langref,
or we mention that the implementer can link the <term> with the corresponding <glossterm> via stylesheet i.e. xquery.

I do not propose "deleting" but "giving unambiguous descriptions who do not create expectations we may not going to fullfill"

Best regards

Chris

SeicoDyne GmbH
Eichenstrasse 16
CH-6015 Reussbühl
Switzerland
Tel: +41 41 534 66 97
Mob: +41 78 790 66 97
Skype: seicodyne

Member of the DITA Technical Committee
Chairman of the DITA Machine Industry Subcommittee