Subject: RE: [dita] Positions on the Open Toolkit

Just by way of clarification, I don't believe anyone at PTC
has a problem with showing output generated from a particular
implementation as sample output.

What's problematic is for an OASIS TC to provide tutorial
material on how to use a given implementation.  OASIS is
a standards organization, not a consulting organization,
so we shouldn't be providing training on how to use one
particular implementation.  We should be talking about how
to use DITA as a standard and as a methodology.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "reference implementation".
The Open Toolkit is one implementation among several.  It is not
necessarily a better "reference" in terms of defining DITA than
any other.  It is not appropriate to use the OT to "know what
the thing is supposed to look like when making evaluations",
because that implies that the OT is right and any deviation
from what it does is wrong, and I would object to that.  Just
imagine replacing "Open Toolkit" with "XMetaL" or "Arbortext"
in your email message below or in JoAnn's message and see how
that sounds.

Practical guidance in using the OT is fine, but it is not
something an OASIS TC should do.  It is something that should
be done by consultants or the DITA OT group itself outside
of OASIS.

paul