Subject: Re: [dita] Potential Issue: critdates requires created

On 4/24/09 10:02 AM, "Bruce Nevin (bnevin)" <bnevin@cisco.com> wrote:

> Even if you only care about entering a <revised> date, it has to have
> been created sometime. By being required, it forces authoring and
> conversion tools to provide a date if the author does not, e.g. from the
> datestamp as a baseline date. It's been that way, so tools must have
> provided for it, right?

My point is that by requiring it you're imposing a business rule that may
not be appropriate and is really outside the scope of business rules a
generic standard like DITA should be imposing.

Sure you could generate *a* created date, but it might not reflect any
meaningful creation date and a given enterprise might prefer to say nothing
rather than making something up.

In the case of my client, it's specifically in the context of legacy
conversion, where the legacy doesn't include creation dates and using the
conversion date as the creation date would be inappropriate.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>