Subject: Re: [dita] ITEM: Meaningful Values for type= on xref and topicref

On 6/30/09 10:08 AM, "Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com> wrote:

> Is this a good idea?  It seem like a big change from the type values
> that were called for in DITA 1.0 and 1.1 (topic, concept, fig, fn, ...).
> Is this in support of a DITA 1.2 proposal?  Was it something that the
> DITA TC talked about and agreed to?  Please point me at an e-mail
> discussion or other document if I missed something.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200905/msg00033.html

This is essentially a bug fix: DITA has always been broken in this regard in
that xrefs to specialized types where the name is not qualified are
potentially ambiguous as there's no requirement that a given non-topic
element name be globally unique across all possible vocabulary modules.

For example, if you xref to another topic and say type "foo", it's ambiguous
whether you mean "my-domain-d/foo" or "your-domain-d/foo".

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>