Subject: RE: [dita] problem with packaging of glossaries

You write:

> Concept, task and reference are not "universal". There are many uses of
DITA for which they
> are completely irrelevant.

Some examples, please?

> That particular breakdown is specific to a particular technical
communication practice
> and philosophy and even that philosophy is not universal among technical
communicators.

I would agree that the breakdown emerged from a particular practice and
philosophy, but that does not automatically disqualify it from broad
applicability. Speaking from own experience authoring hundreds of documents
of many different types, including mainstream business document types, I
have yet to find one that could not be modelled semantically, at high level,
as one or more concept, task, or reference topics. Others on the BusDocs SC
disagree with me; their experience indicates that additional, more specific,
topic types would be more suitable. But I believe I can say we have
consensus on the broad applicability of the concept, task, and reference
topic types, albeit in simpler, less constrictive versions than the ones we
currently have in DITA 1.2.

Tim.

> The concept, task, and reference are universal content structures but
> they are a little more specialized to Tech Docs at this time.

Concept, task and reference are not "universal". There are many uses of DITA
for which they are completely irrelevant.

That particular breakdown is specific to a particular technical
communication practice and philosophy and even that philosophy is not
universal among technical communicators.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368 2570 Boulevard of the Generals |
Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403 www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  |
http://blog.reallysi.com <http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com
<http://www.rsuitecms.com>