Subject: Re: [dita] problem with packaging of glossaries [but not really]

I think the point is that we are not ready to separate the three archetypes from the base specification. In the absence of any semantic alternatives, concept, task, and reference should remain within the core of the standard for this release.

New users need to reference the information types in order to understand how topics are constructed based upon the information they represent. Topic alone contains no semantic markup at all. Even if new users reject concept, task, and reference within their environment, they need to see how these fit in order to develop their own relevant specializations. As Tim Grantham said in an earlier post, there ought to be few instances where DITA is considered where they could not be used.

I believe that with further analysis and discussion that we may be in a position to consider the separation of tech pub info types from the base in DITA 1.3.

Cheers,
Rob Hanna
------Original Message------
From: Grosso, Paul
To: dita
Sent: 24 Aug 2009 11:40 AM

Just what do people think the discussion is at this point?

Is it still packaging?  Because if it is, I'm completely confused.

As both Michael and Jeff have pointed out, packaging is just how
we ship the files.  It is not whether someone can use this or that
file or doctype as a basis for specialization or creation of their
particular DITA application, yet that still seems to be the core
of most of the continued discussion.

If we aren't still talking about packaging, can we change the
subject line (to whatever we're discussion, which I don't really
understand).

If we are talking about packaging, can someone explain how most
of the discussion has anything to do with packaging?

paul