Subject: RE: [dita] problem with packaging of glossaries [but not really]

I think there's a couple of questions:

- what do we provide as a downloadable zip
- what do we provide as PDF
- what do we provide as HTML

At the start of this release, many of us were concerned that the continued proliferation of specializations would render DITA too intimidating for new adopters and tool providers. In particular, it's hard to defend DITA as a simple but extensible architecture if we have no downloadable documents that are less than 1000 pages long.

As a compromise between documenting every possible DTD combination and documenting none of them, we agreed on the following:
        - deliver and document a base set of DTDs with minimal domains and minimal markup support. This was at one end of a continuum.
        - deliver and document two specific packages:
                 one roughly representing our existing specialized markup, with extensions for machine industry semantics
                and the other representing the major new specializations for learning and training

As an additional compromise, we agreed to provide the integrated HTML documentation for everything, while continuing to provide separate PDFs for each package. This made sense inasmuch as the PDFs needed to be chunked at a lower level for printability, whereas the HTML needed to be cross-linked for navigability.

So, I think as it currently stands, there are 3 zips, 3 PDFs, and 1 HTML web. I'd like to see the counterproposals summarized like this as well, so I can get a clear idea of what we're choosing between. Then hopefully we can take a look at what the result would be for each choice - ie, take a look at some prototype docs in the different formats to see how truly navigable they are, how big they get, etc.

But we can't keep revisiting the chunking decision every few months until we release. At some point the decision has to stick.

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>

08/24/2009 12:46 PM

<rob@ascan.ca>, "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, "dita" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [dita] problem with packaging of glossaries [but not really]

I am still confused about what we are talking about here and what specific problem we are trying to solve.

I asked earlier and was told that we were talking about "packaging".  That is, what .zip file holds what. Is that what we are still talking about?

Placing subsets of components into separate packages is just a convenience to allow people to download something less than everything. But since this seems to be causing so much controversy/confusion, perhaps we should abandon the idea of separate packages and just have a single "everything package".  I think OASIS would be happier if we did that anyway.

What package contains what components doesn't really change what a user can use, what can be specialized from what, or what can reference what. And assuming tools can use catalogs, the actual filenames and locations don't matter very much either.

Or are we talking about something other than packaging?

·         About the Public IDs and URIs that are used to reference the various files?

·         About the file and folder names and locations used to hold the files?

·         About what document type shells are made available in which package or in which folders?

·         About how the written specification is organized?

   -Jeff