Subject: Re: [dita] Problems with the task model

On 9/10/09 4:55 PM, "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com> wrote:

> The original strict task model is in OT 1.5. However, in PTC's Arbortext
> 5.4, there is only the "generic" loose task model.

> Also, I understand that Arbortext will not support the constraint
> mechanism with this release. Doesn't seem to be in future plans either.

As Erik said, since constraints are implemented as normal DTD and XSD
syntax, there's no way that Arbortext Editor *can't* support them to the
degree that constrained content models will be correctly reflected in the
editor for shell DTDs that use them (including the TC-provided shell for the
task topic type).

However, Arbortext Editor may very well not check compatibility constraints
defined via the use of constraint specs.

Note also that using a <ditabase> document rather than a <task> document may
well give different results because <ditabase> would normally reflect the
unconstrained versions of all the topic types, while the shell for a
specific topic type may well be the constrained version--I have no idea what
Arbortext Editor 5.4 ships with, but the TC-supplied shell for task does
include the constraints that make it equivalent to the 1.1 task model.

> That means that companies that are using and want the strict task model
> are stuck. It's not being made available. Are we going to see that with
> all the editor vendors because they don't understand that there are now
> two task types?

Nobody is stuck with anything: all editors can be configured to use whatever
shell you choose, local or TC-supplied. It may be that the out-of-the-box
configurations for some editors may not use the strict version, but that
can't prevent its use with any editor (even FrameMaker, albeit with more
effort needed to set up the EDD).

> Next,
>
> I looked at the 1.2 lang spec, <taskbody> .
>
> It shows the generic task model (loose) as contained in ditabase and the
> standard original better task model in "task". Makes no sense of course

That's because the TC-provided shell for <task> includes the constraint,
while the generic model does not.

> Then, to quote

> "The <taskbody> element is the main body-level element inside a task
> topic. A task body is designed to contain information specific to
> completing a task, such as prerequisites, contextual information, and
> steps. With DITA 1.2, the content model of taskbody is looser to
> accommodate additional task structures. OASIS provides a DITA constraint
> that mimics the previous tight content model so that users continue to
> have easy access to the strict model."

> Another quote:
>
> In the document types provided by OASIS with DITA 1.0 and 1.1, the task
> only allowed a single set of steps. In DITA 1.2 this restriction is
> relaxed so that a task may define more than one set of steps. However,
> OASIS will continue to distribute a sample document type that only
> allows a single set (using the new constraints mechanism available with
> DITA 1.2), for use by those that prefer the more restrictive model.

This statement isn't quite accurate, in that the unconstrained content model
for <taskbody> still allows only a single <steps> element. However, it also
allows, as an alternative to <steps>, <steps-informal>, which allows section
content, meaning you could have, for example, two separate ordered or
unordered lists, which gives you the effect of multiple sets of steps.

So either the above in error (it should not imply there can be multiple
<steps> elements) or the content model for <taskbody> is in error, in that
<steps> should be repeatable where it currently is not.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>