Subject: Re: [dita] Clarification Needed: Keyref on <image>

On 9/15/09 4:50 PM, "Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com> wrote:

> @href on image is still required by the DTDs and XSDs or has something
> changed in this respect since I last updated and looked at the DTDs and
> XSDs (way back on 11 May)?

You're right--I was lead astray by my editor, which I thought indicated href
was optional, but it is clearly required.

Hmm.

> With the implementation of @keyref, @href could be optional on image,
> but I don't think any of the DITA 1.2 proposals called for that.  Not
> sure if that was deliberate or if we just didn't think of it at the
> time.  Of course @keyref existed long before DITA 1.2, so perhaps
> someone did think this through long ago and decided that having @href be
> required on image was a good idea.

I agree that if keyref is intended to be analogous to href then href should
be optional since we don't require it on any other linking element to which
we have added keyref. For example, <link>, which is listed in 12007 along
with <image> (and other elements that have href), does not require href.

The language in 12007 does seem to be clear that <image> is like <link> and
not like <keyword>.

> Having @href be required doesn't hurt anything. If @keyref is used, it
> just means that there will always be a fallback value to use if the key
> isn't defined or can't be resolved.

I think it does hurt to the degree that it's not absolutely necessary and in
this case could lead to unexpected failures when authors assume, by analogy,
that href is not required on image (because it's not required on other
linking elements that take keyref).

> So Eliot, are you calling for a change to the DTDs and XSDs to make
> @href on image optional?  If not, it sounds like the Language Reference
> is correct as currently written.

I think I might be asking for that: it feels like a bug to me.

If keyref can functionally replace href on <image>, then requiring
specification of href when you want to only use keyref seems like a serious
burden.

In the case where users didn't or can't specify a useful URL for the graphic
(for example, it's managed by a CMS which does not provide URLs or the URLs
would be redundant with a key-based reference) users are likely to put in
nonsense values just to satisfy the DTD, making the data worse than it would
be with no href (that is, if the keyref can't be resolved, there's the
*illusion* of a fallback rather than an immediate understanding that there
is no fallback), for example, the user will get a "can't resolve href"
message rather than a "can't resolve keyref", which is the real failure.

So I can't agree that it doesn't hurt to require href in this case.