Subject: RE: [dita] Proposal: "DITA decoration catalog"

I don't think the base spec should include a starter decoration catalog.
I feel this is an end-user specific thing per their house style. Should
a particular SC see the need to create a starter catalog or "standard"
catalog for their needs (such as may be the case with the publishing SC)
I think that's fine. I'm just not convinced of the benefit in providing
one at the base spec level.

If the wider TC feels there's a need, I'll go with the flow.

/Gershon

-----Original Message-----
From: ekimber [mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:08 AM
To: Park Seth-R01164; dita

There is certainly a requirement to have controlled values for
outputclass within the Publishing business domain, where arbitrary
formatting control is a reality.

I've approached in several ways to date:

- Used CSS values where appropriate, so that a processor can either just
use the outputclass value in generated HTML or can key on the value for
generating other types of output. Because the values are CSS-defined,
there's no need to have a separate definition of them.

- Treat outputclass values as the names of named styles. When the
primary rendition target is InDesign or similar system, this works well.
In this case, the DTP system maintains the master list of style names
(e.g., in template documents).

- Simply document the expected values.

I think it would be useful and appropriate to use the DITA 1.2
controlled values facility (map specialization) to define some useful
base sets of values, as might be usefully implemented in the DITA Open
Toolkit.

On 9/21/09 3:59 PM, "Park Seth-R01164" <seth.park@freescale.com> wrote:

> I'm giving my users the ability to define non-semantic decorations
> using outputclass. I do this with reservation, but I'm convinced that
> we'll see more of this kind of request in the near future.
>
> I'd like to request that we provide a "DITA decoration catalog" of
> outputclass values that should be meaningful across local systems yet
> customizable for local requirements.
>
> I've captured a sample implementation of such a catalog at
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_Decorations.
>
> Anybody else confronted with this demand?
>
> I need to roll out something within the next month. Any chance of
> resolving an initial list of standard outputclass values before then?
>

> -seth park

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368 2570 Boulevard of the Generals
<http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com
<http://www.rsuitecms.com>