Subject: RE: [dita] DITA Task model

Hi, Ann and JoAnn:

Just to clarify, the restrictions on conref are caused by the requirement to have multiple task models -- not by the decision to implement those models as constraints on a general task specialization.

If the different task models were implemented as specializations, the issues for conref between the task models would be exactly the same. (Try conreffing from Topic or Reference into Task in a fully conformant editor to see those restrictions in action.)

To put it the other way, the only way to eliminate conref restrictions from DITA would be to eliminate not only constraints but also specialization.

Reducing the reuse barriers between vocabularies is a good but ambitious goal -- DITA has always had that challenge, and (so far as I know) no one has proposed an easy enhancement.

Hoping that's useful,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com