Subject: Re: [dita] strategy for identifying DTD/schema artifacts

On 9/24/09 11:09 AM, "Park Seth-R01164" <seth.park@freescale.com> wrote:

> I'm in the process of cleaning up the SIDSC specializations and catalog.
>
> My question is, what is our going-forward strategy for identifying DITA
> DTD/schema resources?
>
> Should I use a public ID such as "-//OASIS//DTD SIDSC Component//EN"? Or
> should I use oasis namespace identifier in a URN, such as
> "urn:oasis:names:sc:sidsc:dtd:component.dtd:1.2"?
>
> What are the guidelines for constructing public IDs?
>
> The catalog shipped with the OT has schema URNs as a system ID; can a
> URN be used as a public ID?

Yes. XML allows public IDs to be either URIs or SGML-style public ID
strings.

> Should every MOD and ENT file also have a publicID/URN? Or is it
> sufficient to provide a publicID/URN for the top-level shells and use
> relative URIs as system IDs to reference MOD/ENT files?

Yes, every component needs a public ID by which it can be referenced from
local shells.

> I suppose the URN would only be available for organizations with a
> registered namespace identifier, so most user local shells and
> specializations would not be able to use URNs. Aesthetically, a mixed
> approach for public identifiers would be unappealing, but harmless, I
> presume.

Anyone can define URNs--they're just magic strings, although typically they
include some owned name component, e.g., a domain name.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>