Subject: Conref terminology: Referencing element and referenced element

I see that I have an action item to ensure that writers update topics in the specification to use the new terminology. But before I can do that I'm going to need to understand it myself.

What is a "referencing element"? A "referenced element"? Here are two concrete examples:

Example 1: Old-fashioned conref pull

In this case is the <p> element with the @conref attribute the referencing element? And the paragraph with the @id attribute set to "paragraph" the referenced element?

Example 2: conref push

<step conref="changingtheoil.xml#changeoil/drain-oil" conaction="pushreplace">
                <cmd>Drain the motor oil.</cmd>
                <info>Be sure to follow local regulations concerning the disposal of used
                    motor oil.</info>
</step>

In this case, is the <step> element with the @conref attribute the referencing element? And the <step> element with the @id attribute set to "drain-oil" the referenced element?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

11. Item-7b: Conref push terminology
    - DISCUSSION: The TC reviewed terminology about conref push
      currently in or possibly candidates for the spec:
      > target topic / source topic
      > referring element / referenced element
      > link target / link source
      > conref-bearing element (the topic containing the
        @conaction attribute)
    - DISCUSSION: The TC recognized that there were two issues here:
      a. Using terminology that captured unambiguously the
         subtleties of conref push usage.
      b. Qualifying what we write to make clear in context the
         "switch" that needs to happen in your thinking when you
         describe conref push versus conref pull.
    - RESOLVED: The Authors group should use the terms "referencing
      element" and "referenced element" for conref documentation and
      that all writers should update their terminology as needed to
      be consistent.
    - ACTION: Gershon and Kristen to make certain that this
      gets airtime with the Authors Group.