Subject: RE: [dita] RE: Updated summary: task vs. general task, constraints, conref, and other related issues

It seems to me that organizations that use DITA fall into one of three broad categories:

1.  Organizations that only use DITA "out of the box", where the "box" may be from OASIS or it may be from a vendor. These organizations don't have their own specializations and have little to worry about in terms of the strict vs. general task questions as long as their "box providers" do a good job.

2.  Organizations that have information architects, know the ins and outs of DTD and XSD programming, and should generally be able to look after themselves as far as the strict vs. general task questions go, particularly if the DITA specification and/or some best practice documents alert them what to watch out for.

3.  Organizations that fall between the other two groups. These organizations may be using specializations that they developed themselves, that were developed for them by consultants, or that they received from third parties that may or may not be providing on-going support.  They may have some in house expertise, but they may be struggling to keep up with everything they need to do.  Or the in-house experts may have left to work on another project or have left the organization all together. The consultants that they hired may or may not still be working for them.  The organizations may not upgrade to DITA 1.2 on their own schedule, but the upgrade may happen as a side effect of upgrades to their tools provided by a tool vendor.

It is this third group that I am concerned about as we talk about allowing an implicit change from strict task to general task for people who are using task.mod in private specializations and who upgrade to DITA 1.2 without updating their specializations to include the strict task constraint.

And since many of the folks on the DITA TC got caught by this themselves, I wonder how many organizations are really in the second group and can be expected to truly look after themselves.

   -Jeff