Subject: Re: [dita] FW: Why "Key name"?

On 11/4/09 10:34 AM, "Michael Priestley" <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I see the need either. "Key" and "key reference" are parallel
> to "ID" and "ID reference", as Eliot points out. And that's sufficient for
> the majority of cases, where the keyref is to a simple key, not a compound
> value. So I don't think the problem case is all that big.
>
> I'm also not sure how, even if there is a problem, adding "name" helps.
> Maybe we could see an example of a problem sentence, written both ways?

I just noticed that the 2nd review draft does have this language in the
Langref topic on Using keys and keyref:

" A key value consists of one or more space separated key names. The
following characters are prohibited in key names: ³{³, ³}², ³[³, ³]², ³/²,
³#², ³?², and space characters. The case of key names is significant. A key
may not resolve to sub-topic elements, although a keyref attribute may do so
by combining a key with a sub-topic element id."

One problem with this particular paragraph is that the phrase "A key value
consists of" should in fact be "The value of the @keys attribute consists
of".

However, even after making that change, it is still useful, at least in the
context of this paragraph, to use "key name" rather than unqualified "key",
otherwise you get this:

The value of the @keys attribute consists of one or more space separated
keys. The following characters are prohibited in keys: ³{³, ³}², ³[³, ³]²,
³/², ³#², ³?², and space characters. The case of keys is significant. A key
may not resolve to sub-topic elements, although a keyref attribute may do so
by combining a key with a sub-topic element id.

Note the potential confusion between the plural of "key" and mentions of the
@keys attribute.

I'm not sure that means we should use "key name" in place of "key"
throughout, but this is a case where "key name" helps.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>