Subject: Re: [dita] Terminology issues: Linking and addressing terms? Referencingand referenced element?

Ouch. I think we have a problem here. I look at the two definitions and find them VERY difficult to mentally parse. If I have problems with them -- and I've been spending most of the last six months working on DITA full-time, then I think a lot of other people will also.

My analysis of the problem is:
  1. The two definitions are circular.
  2. We are trying to cram way too much information into a definition
Here's what I put in the terminology.dita topic yesterday morning as a temporary placeholder:

Referencing element
An element which specifies one of the following DITA attributes in order to address another DITA element:
  • @conkeyref attribute
  • @conref attribute
  • @href attribute
  • @keyref attribute
Referenced element
An element that is referenced by another DITA element (the referencing element). The referencing element specifies one of the following DITA attributes:
  • @conkeyref attribute
  • @conref attribute
  • @href attribute
  • @keyref attribute
The referenced element is the target of the DITA attribute.

Obviously I didn't have a complete list of the relevant attributes ...

Now I have to go and look up information about attributes that are unfamiliar to me (@mapref, @longdescref, @anchorref), and well as the <object> element :(

I do find "addressing attribute" to be a potentially useful and descriptive term for the particular groups of attributes. Some of these attributes fall into the "id-atts attribute group"; one of my review comments during the last review was to suggest that we use more descriptive names for the groups of attributes, rather than the names of the literal parameter entities that are used to organize the attribute declarations. We won't be doing this for DITA 1.2, but it's definitely something that we need to consider for DITA 1.3. See http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LangRefAttributes if you want to follow the review thread.

Kris

Bruce Nevin (bnevin) wrote:
6D6F1AB5D0078540A309D4BACDCFA8E63EF75F@XMB-RCD-104.cisco.com" type="cite">
Then maybe this rev. 3 has got it:

Referencing element
An element that identifies a referenced element in the value of an addressing attribute. The addressing attributes include href, conref, conrefend, keyref, conkeyref, mapref, longdescref, and anchorref. See referenced element. This term may also be used for an <object> element insofar as its archive, classid, and data attributes are used to specify the data, resources, and implementation of a non-XML object.

Referenced element
The element that a referencing element identifies in the value of one of the addressing attributes. The addressing attributes include href, conref, conrefend, keyref, conkeyref, mapref, longdescref, and anchorref. See referencing element.

Does this hook us into making "addressing attribute" a defined term? I hope we can stop with defining it locally like this.

I don't know if we actually use source/target anywhere that we talk about <object> (we don't seem to in the lang ref), but someone might use referring/referenced in the future. I omitted @codebase since it only sets a base URL to which the other URLs are relative (when that base URL is other than that of the current document).

Question:
The "text description of the graphic or object" that @longdescref references--is that text contained in a DITA element? If not (or if not necessarily) it might call for an "also used" sentence like that for @archive, etc.