Subject: RE: [dita] What are the implications of <navref> for key space construction?

Actually navref was part of DITA 1.0

navref

The <navref> element references a map file from within a map file. The reference is resolved at runtime

for Eclipse navigation, typically to pull together the navigation for multiple components into a product

navigation. This element is for runtime resolution of references, and is for navigation only. It is currently

only supported by Eclipse output.

For build-time integration, you can use the conref attribute on an element inside the map (for example, a

topicref) to pull in content from a matching element (for example, another topicref) in another map.

The DITA 1.1 description is a bit longer:

navref

The <navref> represents a pointer to another map which should be preserved as a transcluding link

rather than resolved. Output formats that support such linking will integrate the target when displaying

the referencing map to an end user.

For example, if a map is converted to the Eclipse help system format, the DITA element <navref

mapref="other.ditamap"/> should be converted to the Eclipse element <link toc="other.xml"/>. When

Eclipse loads the referencing map, it will replace this link element with the contents of other.xml,

provided that other.xml is available.

Note that not all output formats will support such linking. In order to include target maps directly

without depending on the output format, you may reference the map with a topicref while setting the

format attribute to ditamap. For example, the following markup represents a literal inclusion of the

map other.ditamap(similar to a conref):

<topicref href=""other.ditamap"" format="ditamap"/>

The current wording in the DITA 1.2 draft looks identical to the DITA 1.1 wording.

We could take something from the DITA 1.0 description to heart, “[navref] is for navigation only”, and simply state that “the use of key definitions in maps referenced using <navref> is currently undefined and the processing of key definitions, if any, may vary from implementation to implementation”.  Or perhaps the use of key definitions in maps referenced using <navref> is not supported and implementations may, but are not required to, issue a warning message when key definitions are present”.

   -Jeff