Subject: RE: [dita] foreign element description issue (non-XML?)

That's a general truth, not something we need to discuss under
the description of the <foreign> element.

> If you add non-DITA XML markup, you must do so using namespaces and the
> namespace must be declared in the file. Otherwise, the DITA file
> becomes invalid from XML point of view.

One can use the <foreign> element without namespaces if one
is inserting something like RTF because there are no elements.

And the <foreign> element description does have an example showing
SVG and MathML (and proper declaration of namespaces), so I don't
think we need to get into such details here.  (And we didn't get
into such details in earlier drafts.)

> Notice that, you cannot declare
> a standard DTD in your DITA file, you have to use an XML Schema
> instead.

That's not true.  The content model of <foreign> is ANY which
allows any element (as long as it is declared in the DTD).  One
does not have to use XSDs.

> Also, in order to use elements from a foreign namespace, DITA schemas
> have to provide the necessary extension points. If the official schemas
> don't allow foreign elements inside <foreign>, then the content model
> is restricted to text, CDATA sections, XML comments and XML Processing
> Instruction.

That's not true.

The content model of <foreign> is ANY, so any (declared) element is
allowed within <foreign>.

I think Kris' latest wording is fine.

paul