Subject: Re: [dita] Bug: fragref does not allow keyref

On 1/25/10 4:19 PM, "Robert D Anderson" <robander@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> It also means allowing behaviors that were previously
> forbidden.

But my point is that the current state *does not forbid*
anything--href-based addressing is not and cannot be limited to any
particular scope. Adding keyref doesn't make the scope of address any less
unbounded.

My point is that *all* href-based addresses should have a corresponding
keyref, period. There's absolutely no justification for not doing so and
therefore the lack of it is a bug.

Or said another way: addressing is distinct from link semantics and trying
to impose any link semantics by limiting addressing is *fundamentally
wrong*. Which means that in this regard *DITA has always been broken*.

I realize it's not necessarily a critical bug. I only noticed it because I
added fragref and synnoteref to the list of linking elements and only then
realized the last of keyref.

Note that I'm not arguing against the restriction on scope of reference
(necessarily), just arguing that the presence of href *demands* keyref and
that that demand is completely distinct from any semantic of any link for
href is meaningful.

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 610.631.6770
www.reallysi.com