Subject: SANITY CHECK: Documenting How to Build DITA 1.2 Spec Subsets

Hi --

Before I start writing a topic documenting how our readers can build subsets of the DITA 1.2 spec for themselves, I wanted to do a quick sanity check on our assumptions and goals.

1. Distribution: DITA 1.2 sources will be downloadable from OASIS
   as a .zip and/or .tar archive.
   - In separate distributions, the DITA-OT and other tools providers
     may choose to supplement the OASIS source archive with sets
     of tool-specific build files, for example ant scripts for particular
     output formats.

2. Build environment: Readers should be able to use any DITA-1.2-compliant
   build environment to call our DITA 1.2 DITA maps from their build scripts
   or build UI and generate one or
more output formats.
   - CAVEAT: When we KNOW that attempting to build a certain DITA map
     requires special support tools or processing overhead, we should
     inform readers
of those requirements. Unless noted otherwise, our
     DITA maps should
load and build in general-purpose DITA-1.2-compliant
     environments.

   - TESTING: We should invite competent DITA users outside the TC to
     build the spec subsets in a variety of build environments.

3. Target subsets: We should document how our DITA maps support
   generating the following spec deliverables:
   a. DITA 1.2 Complete Spec
      - Pointer to Kris' doc
   b. DITA 1.2 Base Spec
      - Base architecture spec