Subject: RE: [dita] Acknowledgments in the DITA 1.2 spec -- what should they contain?

You are conflating two purposes, which traditionally are served by
distinct content elements (if I may use that term):

1. Recognition of contributions (acknowledgements).
2. Demonstration of support (approvals).

Why isn't the second "approvals" purpose served by the membership
roster? You propose that there might be "dissident members who don't
want to quit the committee, but don't agree with signification portions
of the spec".

I propose that we don't need to log approvals separately from the
membership roster as a whole unless and until such members step forward
and say they do not want their membership to be construed as approval of
every aspect of the spec.

A more pointed approach would be a section for dissent/demurral in which
the dissenting members could summarize their specific misgivings. This
actually flows naturally from our consensus process. I have numerous
times heard someone say "I can live with that", which I take as
willingness to stand aside and not block a decision, while still
retaining reservations. Those reservations are on record in the minutes.
Do they need to be in the spec?

And again, why do we need to log approvals, since approval is explicit
in our consensus process?

Given that consensus process, a stronger "I can't live with that" form
of dissent is possible only if the dissenting member were absent when
those decisions were made to which they object, and they didn't bring up
the objections in subsequent meetings. How likely is that?

	/Bruce