Subject: RE: [dita] Use of "claims to be DITA aware": Why I Said It Like That

Eliot,

I was one of those who commented on "claims to be DITA aware."

I think the thing that tripped me up was the second sentence under
"Conformance of Processors," "A processor is DITA-aware if it claims to
implement DITA-specific processing beyond that required to process XML
documents in general." Given that definition, my blender is DITA-aware
if I claim that it is. I don't see the utility in defining a term that
doesn't have some substantive meaning.

While I see your point about a claim being necessary, the way it's
stated in the conformance statement is not what I think you meant, and
in any case is more complex than it needs to be.

I suggest a different strategy to use in place of the description of
"claims to be DITA aware.". Why not make one requirement of a conforming
DITA-aware or DITA-specialization-aware processor be a statement as to
which features of DITA it supports?  Without the statement, a processor
by definition cannot be considered conforming, which I think addresses
your concern. In addition, potential users get a statement of what the
tool supports. Given how broadly non-specialization-aware processor is
defined, such a statement would be really helpful (I'd argue essential).

I hope that helps.

Dick Hamilton
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators