Subject: RE: [dita] Use of "claims to be DITA aware": Why I Said It Like That

I too had qualms about the word "claim" but I may not have voiced them.
It is legitimate semantics for the marketing of tools, so it is relevant
to the TC's role adjudicating conformance to the spec.

Here's my attempt to summarize this discussion for myself. Maybe it can
be useful.

Within the spec, the terms "DITA aware" and "specialization aware" are
redundant. The relevant distinction is whether a tool is conforming or
not. As you say, Eliot, if a tool makes no claim to support DITA, the
question of conformity does not arise. We don't even have to be
concerned that it makes no claim. Any claim that a vendor does make is
only meaningful as a claim to be DITA conforming.

We may further identify a subset of features which are supported in a
conforming way (where the entire spec is the limiting case). And there's
the rub. "DITA aware" and "specialization aware" are marketing terms
that fog the question of how fully a tool conforms to the spec. They are
useful only to a vendor that wants to claim that their tool supports
DITA even though they cannot demonstrate full conformity.

Perhaps the remedy is to establish the legitimacy of partial
conformity--e.g. we don't support feature x but that doesn't matter
because our customers don't use or care about feature x.

> We have already established that it is not realistically
> possible in the 1.2 time frame to define an enumerated set of
> features in order to then label them as required, optional, etc.

A few months ago, I asked JoAnn and others if there was a list of 1.2
features. I had gone through threads on the dita alias and gleaned a
list. The Adoption TC is using that list now. Maybe it would be feasible
even within our time constraints to confirm its completeness?

My thinking: A list of features is useful to vendors because it helps to
level the marketing field, but it is not essential for the TC when it is
called upon to judge partial conformance. Further, since the DITA TC is
the adjudicating body, and because the standard of judgement is the spec
and not any feature list derived from the spec, we are empowered to
refine the feature list over time based on experience with the
adjudication process.

This presumes that we do have a process in place that brings vendors
before us for judgement of their marketing claims (there's that word).

	/Bruce