Subject: Minutes, 2 March 2010 DITA TC Meeting

8:00-8:05 Roll call

Approve minutes from previous business meetings:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201002/msg00108.html (for 23
Feb 2010 meeting, Day)
> Don: Motion to approve. Seconded by Bruce, passed by acclamation.

Subcommittee/liaison reports (as needed--skip for today)

OASIS DITA Adoption TC (Gershon, after we finish current review
priorities)
OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
OASIS DITA Learning Content Subcommittee
OASIS DITA Machine Industry Subcommittee
OASIS DITA Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee
OASIS DITA for Enterprise Business Documents Subcommittee
OASIS DITA Help Subcommittee
OASIS DITA Pharmaceutical Content Subcommittee
OASIS DITA in Composite Environments Subcommittee
OASIS DITA for the Web 2.0 Subcommittee
OASIS DITA Technical Communication Subcommittee (on hold until 1.2 draft
is out)
OASIS DITA for Technical Standards Subcommittee (inactive)

Business:

1. ITEM: DITA 1.2 specification
 * Spreadsheet and spec source files located in the TC's Subversion
repository
 * Information about contributors, deadlines, editorial guidelines,
Subversion clients, and more
 * Business (edited by Eberlein for 23 February TC meeting):
   a. Status of authors' work handling review #3 comments: When can work
be completed? Are there dependencies that are slowing the effort?
    *
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/TechReview3#Reviewstatus.232.3AAuthor.27
sprogress
    * Kris Eberlein
    * Gershon Joseph
    * Elliot Kimber
    * Conformance
   b. Conformance topic:
    * Are there review comments that require TC discussion in order to
achieve resolution? ConformanceReview: Wiki page
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201002/msg00068.html
(Kimber opening note)
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201002/msg00086.html
(Ogden discussion reset)
    > Su-Laine: All agreed that statement is neither perfect nor strong.
Hoped for making it a bit stronger, but now believes not realistic in
our present schedule. Invited others to put forward a proposal.
      Kristin: This would be a topic to be written, reviewed, approved.
      Refer to discussion on wiki (URL in agenda at "ConformanceReview:
Wiki page" link).
      ACTION: Kris to put up wiki page, TC members to review this week
for consensus poll next week.
      Bruce: List of features is crucial to this but we can't achieve it
for DITA 1.2. Discussion: For now, vendors will say what they do and do
not support, and customers must judge.
      Bruce: an opportunity here for crowd sourcing.
      Don: rather than "weak" the conformance statement is "tolerant".
      Prior consensus: let the present conformance statement go forward
through the review process, shepherded by Eliot.
      Prior action for Eliot: report resolution of review comments to
TC.
      Complete review comments for other areas of spec --
specialization, configuration, and extension.
      Don: prepare wiki page that the conformance topic in the spec
could reference, where vendors could update a growing list of
conformance items.
      Su-Laine: likely to be a mess -- I support reuse vs. I support
topicref.
      Jeff: could say that implementers must provide some statement of
what they support.
      Eliot has agreed to articulate this requirement.
      If we don't have a new draft from Eliot next week, either table it
for a week or reassign the task.
      ACTION: Kristin - communicate this last to Eliot.

   c. Overlapping/redundant content issue
    *
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201002/
msg00010.html (Eberlein, 2 February 2010)
    * Reports back from volunteers: Rob Frankland, Michael Priestley
    * 2-3 PM ET meeting, today
    > Kristin: will report results of that meeting.
    ACTION - Kristin: Send link to summary of discussion along with new
CHM.

   d. New topic about "Map-to-map" cascading
    *
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201002/
msg00103.html (topic copied into e-mail, Eberlein)
    *
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201002/
msg00104.html (link to feature 12055, past e-mails: Eberlein)

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201003/
msg00001.html (Nevin)

   Kristin asks for volunteers to review and comment on new topic. Paul
has passed on some comments from Dave. Other reviews pending soon: Jeff,
Dave, Stan, Robert.

   e. Revise schedule to accommodate the following items:
    * Agree on dates for following line items:
      * Writers complete addressing all review #3 comments.
      * Redundant content and organization issues identified.
      * SWAT team has met, discussed redundant content & organizational
problems, developed plan.

(not touched last week:)

1. New ITEM: Congratulate Jeff Ogden on his upcoming retirement and
future plans--Kudos, Jeff!
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201002/msg00101.html (Ogden)
Don's congratulations with hearty concurrence albeit in the usual TC
manner.

2. ITEM: Stan Doherty's request for Sanity Check on build process
(continued)
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201002/msg00052.html (initial
note, Doherty)
Where to document how to build subsets of the DITA specification
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201002/msg00091.html (Doherty,
request for clarification)

Stan: Finish two maps, so we have a complete set of ready to build maps
for subsets that we proposed to build. Sanity check on this strategy of
building maps. Silent acclaim. Stan proposes to build these maps.

Build instructions: Topics about how to install plugins, how to build
each set of topics, machine-specific issues. OK with proposal to move
these topics to a wiki. Need something in the spec that directs adopters
and vendors to this content.

Don: put it on the dita.xml.org site.

Stan: is this something planned on the OT side? Robert: no.
Stan will work on writing the topics.

ACTION: Kristin -- will help Stan with dita.xml.org.

Ongoing checks:

1. Status of Mime type topic (Don)
 * [target url and status]
ACTION: DON -- update URL

2. ITEM: Domain integrator
 * DITA DTD Generator
 * http://www.elovirta.com/dita-generator/
 * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200907/msg00116.html
(Robert's message with more info)
ACTION: Don to add Jarno's recent comments to the agenda

3. ITEM: OASIS hosting of a Web GUI
 * Review progress
(Continuing)

4. ITEM: Request for input on DITA 1.2 use:
 * Status of DITA OT 1.5 reference implementation of 1.2 features:
   * http://dita.xml.org/wiki/plans-for-dita-ot-15
   * Note new list below for collecting affirmations of use.
ACTION: Don - Make OASIS hosting subbullet of item 3.

5. ITEM: Review 1.2 list for items that should be considered for 1.3
 * Update the DITA 1.3 list on the Wiki (Gershon)
 * Action check: Gershon to add his research into the DITA 1.3 Proposals
table.

8:59:30-9:00 Announcements/Opens

9:00 Adjourn