Subject: base vs. non-base

I've been reading the specification and looking at the DTDs, and I have
a question about the definition of the DITA "Base."

In the language reference the content models for some of the Base DITA
elements contain elements that are not in the list of Base DITA
elements. For example, the content model for <title> in the <topic>
Doctype contains <apiname>, which is part of the programming domain in
Technical Content.

Does that mean that those domains (including the Programming Domain
among others) are considered to be part of the Base, even though they
are described in the Technical Content area of the specification?

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators