Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - DITA 1.2 spec: CD 01, new topics to review (new-topics-for-review.chm) uploaded

Suggested clarifications to the XHTML formatting conventions topic:

The XHTML version of the specification uses certain formatting
conventions to aid readers in navigating through the specification and
locating material easily: Link previews and navigation links.
==>
To aid readers in navigating through the specification and locating
material easily, the XHTML rendition of the specification, unlike other
renditions, uses certain formatting conventions: Link previews and
navigation links.

These link previews are marked as such and visually highlighted by a
border and a colored background.
==>
A border and a colored background marks each link preview as such and
highlights it visually.

The links previews are not normative; they contain the content of the
<shortdesc> element for the child topic, which is normatively rendered
as the first paragraph of the child topic. However, the link previews
serve as a usability improvement and enhanced navigation aid, enabling
readers to more easily locate content.
==>
The content of the <shortdesc> element is normatively rendered as the
first paragraph of a topic, as well as being non-normatively rendered as
a link preview to help the reader more easily locate the given topic.
The content is identical in both renditions. This usability enhancement
is one of the ways in which the specification exemplifies the
capabilities of DITA and DITA best practices.

The following screen capture illustrates how link previews are displayed
in the XHTML version of the specification:
==>
The following screen capture of related links illustrates how link
previews are displayed in the XHTML version of the specification:

To ease readers in navigating from one topic to another, each XHTML file
generated by a DITA topic contains the following navigation links at the
bottom:
==>
To make it easier for readers to browse through topics, each XHTML file
generated by a DITA topic contains the following navigation links at the
bottom:

When readers hover over the navigation links, the short description of
the DITA topic also is displayed.
==>
The short description of the DITA topic is displayed when the reader's
mouse cursor hovers over a navigation link of this sort.