Subject: Re: [dita] DITA 1.2 Review Comment: Thoughts on topicgroup,navtitle, and locktitle

It is not true that its semantic of not contributing to navigation is
inherent in its type.

It's inherent in having neither a navigation title nor an associated
resource.

That is, a <topicref> element with no navigation title and no @href or
@keyref attribute will be treated *exactly the same* as a <topicgroup>
element with no <navtitle> grandchild.

The question is whether a <topicgroup> element with a <navtitle> should be
treated as though the navtitle wasn't there or if it should be treated as
any other topicref that has a navtitle, regardless of specialization, would
be treated (by default)?

It bothers me a great deal to have an otherwise clean design marred by a
special case that only the DITA spec itself can demand.

That is, I cannot unilaterally specialize from map/topicref and declare, in
my vocabulary documentation, that any navtitle for my specialization be
ignored. All general-purpose DITA processors will be well within their
rights to treat an instance of my specialization that happens to have a
<navtitle> grandchild as it would any unspecialized topicref with a
navigation title.

Why should the DITA spec be special in this case?

That is, we're proposing "all topicrefs, without exception, behave like 'X'
except for this one type in this one vocabulary module".

That just seems icky to me.

The only other solution would be to have "groupness" be indicated by
another, independent and non-cascading property of topicrefs, a property
that could be set on any topicref, specialized or not.

That is, if groupness is a property separate from the presence or absence of
a navigation title, I shouldn't be required to specialize from
mapgroup-d/topicgroup just to ensure that my specialized topicref is treated
as a topic group, which is the implication of having topicgroup be a special
case. There should be a way to indicate that any specialization of topicref
is a group.