Subject: RE: [dita] DITA 1.2 Review Comment: Thoughts on topicgroup, navtitle, and locktitle

None of us likes being backed into an icky corner of inconsistency;
abstracting that layer of complaint about the 'unavoidable consequences'
of adding <navtitle> to <topicmeta>, we might be near a kind of churning
agreement in the problem description, with a may/must difference still
outstanding in the proposed solution.

It doesn't matter so much where <topicgroup> 'gets' its 'groupness'
from. I think you're in agreement that "A topicref that contains other
elements also has the semantic[s] of groupness. The distinguishing
feature of topicgroup is not that it has the semantic[s] of groupness,
but that the only semantic[s] it has is groupness."

The question is what exactly the 'groupness' of <topicgroup> amounts to
at processing time. What does the processor do about it? Doug, your
proposal sounds to me like:

1. Tell users not to specify <navtitle> in the <topicmeta> of
<topicgroup>, even though they can.

2. For those inevitable cases where they do this anyway, hey whatever
floats your boat, processor.

Eliot, you reject a laissez faire version of (2). For you, the spec
should say:

2. The processor MUST ignore <navtitle> in the <topicmeta> of
<topicgroup>, because "[T]o give a topicgroup a navtitle is to
contradict its reason for existence. That is why it has no navtitle
attribute."

Those quoted words of yours, Doug, are in agreement with what I quoted
from Eliot in the 2nd paragraph above; maybe agreement is not so far
away on this may/must distinction as well?

	/B