Subject: RE: [dita] DITA v1.2 Review | Resource-only topicref referredthrough Reltable

Thanks David. It seems pretty much clear now.

Regards,

Tarun Garg

From: Helfinstine, David [mailto:dhelfinstine@ptc.com]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:42 PM
To: Tarun Garg; dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Greetings,

Thanks for your feedback regarding the DITA 1.2 specification.

My intent in this email is to clarify the DITA specification language, and in the process help clarify the processing examples regarding how  topicrefs work in maps when they specify processing-role=”resource-only”.

From the DITA 1.2 spec 2.1.2.2.4 DITA map attributes:

processing-role

Specifies whether the topic or map referenced should be processed normally or treated as a resource that is only included in order to resolve key or content references.

Topic T2 is in the map and marked as processing-role=”resource-only”. When a resource is marked in this way, then it does not contribute to output of the map. For output processing it is as if this topicref is commented out. A topicref with @processing-role=”resource-only” is identical to no topicref at all for purposes of link resolution, either directly in a topic via the related-links section or an xref, or in the reltable.

The next part of this is when Topic T2 is now added to a row in a relationship table. Two cases are possible the topicref of T2.

·         If the topicref of T2 is copied as-is and processing-role=”resource-only” is maintained, then the same rule applies as when T2 appears in the main body of the map. It would be as if the topicref to T2 is commented out. Other topics in the row would not “see” T2, hence no links.

·         If the topicref of T2 is copied and processing-role is not set to “resource-only” then normal processing for topicrefs in a reltable takes place. Since toc=”no” is the default setting for a reltable this topic will normally not be output for output like HTML. However if print=”yes” then this topic may be included for PDF-like output.

The spec does not say what processors are to do in this or other similar situations, and I think that is beyond what the spec should prescribe.

In the HTML example below:

·         If we take T1 and the 1st reltable case for T2, then only T1 would be built, because T2 always has processing-role=”resource-only”.

·         If we take T1 and the 2nd reltable case for T2, then T2 may be built, as T2 in the reltable does not have processing-role=”resource-only”. A processor could then implement something similar to the example given regarding HTML below.

In the PDF examples:

·         If we take T1 and the 1st reltable case for T2, then only T1 would be built, because T2 always has processing-role=”resource-only”.

·         If we take T1 and the 2nd reltable case for T2, then a processor might do either of the two PDF examples given, and either would be equally valid.

Thanks.

- Dave H.

Dave Helfinstine

DHelfinstine@ptc.com