Subject: Missing Paras on Attribute Specialization

Robert discovered that I had missed out a few paragraphs on attribute
specialization in the reorganization of the general discussion of
specialization. The original content was:

--------
Specialization of attributes

When creating a structural specialization, you can limit the contents of
existing attributes on your new elements; you can also create new attributes
through domain specialization based off of the props attribute (for
conditional processing) or the base attribute (for other simple token
attributes).

Domain attribute specialization allows DITA document type developers to
incorporate new conditional processing attributes that can be used for
filtering and flagging, or new attributes with no existing equivalent that
can be managed and generalized in the same way as conditional processing
attributes.

The new attributes need to be based off of either props or base:

* Attributes specialized from props are identified as conditional processing
attributesAttributes specialized from base have no existing behavior
associated with them
* Values in specialized attributes should be preserved during generalization
and respecialization
* While generalized, the attribute values should still be understandable by
both general and specialized behaviors, and be treated as equivalent to
their specialized form.
* For example, conditional filtering should work the same way on specialized
attributes and on generalized attributes.

Because there is a strong possibility that the existing conditional
processing attributes (audience, platform, product, and otherprops) will be
moved into a domain based off of props in the future, structural
specializations are discouraged from limiting the values in those
attributes.
--------

I think the appropriate action is to add this content, more or less as is,
as another <section> within topic 2.1.4.3 Specialization, where it would be
parallel with the other sections.

This content doesn't add or remove any existing normative statements about
attribute specialization so I don't think there's any functional implication
to adding it. I would just need to make sure I don't add any redundant
statements.

I will take this action if there is no objection from the TC.

Cheers,

Eliot

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 512.554.9368