Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 28 September 2010 [corrected]

 <<Minutes20100928.txt>> DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 28
September 2010

Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com>
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 28 September 2010 at
08:15am PT for 40 minutes, delayed by a technical issue with the
moderator's access code.

8:15-8:20 Roll call
Roll call:
* Regrets: Gershon Joseph, Richard Hamilton
> Quorum was achieved.

STANDING BUSINESS:

Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
  o  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00089.html
(Nevin for 21 September)
  Moved: Don Day; seconded: Kris Eberlein

Subcommittee/liaison reports:
  o  OASIS DITA for the Web 2.0 Subcommittee

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/WebSubcommittee/Microformats_Use_Cases
  o  OASIS DITA Help Subcommittee (Oct 5 by Stan Doherty)
  o  OASIS DITA for Enterprise Business Documents Subcommittee (October
12)

Comments:
  o  PublicReview1Comments
  >  No more comments accepted. Actions from prior comments now to be
closed.

BUSINESS:

1. ITEM: TC vote for Committee Draft 04
       o  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00138.html
(Eberlein)
    > Consensus reached to move acceptance.
    > Bruce Nevin moved that we vote to accept CD04 as a Committee draft
and to request a 15-day OASIS review.
    > Robert Anderson seconded the motion.
    > The resolution was approved unanimously by individual poll of
voting members present.

    ACTION: Kris Eberlein: submit CD04 as a committee draft and request
a 15-day OASIS review.

2. ITEM: Initiate TC discussion about post-1.2 packaging
       o  At the TC meeting on 13 July 2010, Gershon raised the point
that we need to consider how we will handle SC releases and niche
specializations going forward. The user community is concerned by the
"weight" and "size" of the DITA 1.2 release.
    > Robert: This is about future deliverables after 1.2, i.e.
convenience packaging of the 1.2 materials after the initial posting.
    > Need to identify communities of interest calling for subset and
specialized packages, like Tech Pub.
    > Robert: base materials, technical content, learning and training.
Default is everything.
    > Kris: we decided initially to provide the default and post
instructions on dita.xml for subsetting.
    > JoAnn: do we have precedent for other TCs providing more than one
spec document, where they are interdependent?
    > Thilo Buchholz: identify target groups so we can profile
    > Bruce: has advocated BusDocs formulate results as a framework to
guide subsetting and specializing in a rational and mutually coherent
way.
    > Michael: Can we do a survey? Don: Dita Users has a polling
function, but you have to specify the values in advance. Kris: There are
plenty of web-based survey tools. Don: Might need to preserve corporate
anonymity, and they may also need to protect IP. Michael: their solution
to protecting trade secrets is just not to respond. Don: may need to
rely on statisticians and poll-takers in the committee. Is surveymonkey
an appropriate tool?
    > This has implications for reuse. Those who have capacity to create
their own shells will also be capable of subsetting the spec. No, this
is about reaching those who are not already engaged with DITA, and it's
about managing the perception of DITA's complexity.
    ACTION: Thilo Buchholz, JoAnn Hackos: investigate some survey
methods and make a recommendation next week. Start a thread on the DITA
TC alias.

8:50-8:55 Announcements/Opens
Happy birthday to Mark Lewis!

8:55 Adjourn