Subject: Re: [dita] Potential new DITA interest area

Robert,

I would be interested, and I can bring to the SC the JavaScript API specialization bits my team has developed. (It's a bit of a hack so would need to be re-architected, but gives a starting point.)

I've attached some sample output (wiki) so you can judge if this would useful. It's close to O'Reilly's template, with some differences.

Overview of a larger API "domain":

Reference page for a particular API:

Lisa J Dyer
Manager, Information Development and Community
WebSphere Lombardi Edition
IBM Software Group, AIM
512..970.4147

Inactive hide details for Robert D Anderson---10/11/2010 08:47:46 AM---Hello, We've got a lot of people inside IBM using DITA sRobert D Anderson---10/11/2010 08:47:46 AM---Hello, We've got a lot of people inside IBM using DITA specializations to mix API

Robert D Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS

dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

10/11/2010 08:47 AM

[dita] Potential new DITA interest area

Hello,

We've got a lot of people inside IBM using DITA specializations to mix API
information with other documentation. These specializations have been
released through the DITA Open Toolkit, as a core set of generic API
document types, along with more specialized types specifically for Java.
Nokia recently released an additional set of specializations for C++ based
on the same core set of API modules, and I've gotten a lot of queries about
extending them for other languages.

Is there interest from anybody else on the TC in making these document
types a little more formal? For example, we could start up something like a
"DITA for Programmers" subcommittee that at least works on the core API
Document types, and potentially the extensions into some language specific
modules.  Eventually, I would hope that any approved API modules like this
could be released as independent packages - that is, I would not expect
them to be part of the eventual DITA 1.3 specification itself.

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit