Subject: RE: [dita] Chair's quote--pls review

Don,

Generally, I think this quote provides less "hype," but more detail than
I'd expect in what I presume is the press release. For the purpose of a
press release, I'd suggest a more general statement that focuses on the
expanded applicability rather than features. While I think you can get
away with a shorter statement that leaves out some of the points below,
I went ahead and made some specific wording suggestions below.

I would drop "through its previous works as well"

> "This new version of DITA incorporates community suggestions that
> create wider usage opportunities for DITA as a content standard.

I think the last sentence (most of it, anyway) should be the lead, along
with some hype:). For example, "DITA 1.2 is a major enhancement to the
DITA standard that allows content owners to create and deliver more
kinds of information, more efficiently than ever before."

> The constraints mechanism should help with 'tag fatigue' during DITA
authoring.

I agree with Thilo's comment about 'tag fatigue.' How about something
like, "The new 'constraints' mechanism provides a means for simplifying
the DITA schema for particular end-user applications."

> The indirect addressing updates enable more efficient reuse and
content
> management policies.

I'd suggest turning this around to focus on the result rather than the
feature. For example, "DITA 1.2 makes managing and reusing content more
efficient with the new "keyref" mechanism, which supports indirect
addressing using user-defined keys."

> And the conref extensions enable end user renditions that were not
possible with DITA 1.1, such as
> pushing updates into already published content.

I'd avoid the word "rendition," especially in a context that implies
you're acting on an end user, rather than an output:). How about
something like, "The conref mechanism has been extended in several ways,
including support for pushing updates into already published content."

> Those features, along with the new Learning & Training and Hazard
> specializations, aim to help content owners to create and deliver
> more kinds of information in more ways than ever with DITA."

Since L&T is new and a major capability, I'd hype it some more. Maybe
something like, "DITA 1.2 provides support for educational applications
through the new Learning & Training specialization." and "The new Hazard
specialization supports labeling for product safety applications."

All that said, I think you might do just as well with a general
statement that says that DITA 1.2 is an important step in the evolution
of the standard that broadens its applicability, enhances many existing
features, and adds new specializations, like Learning & Training. For a
press release, that may be all you want or need.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton
XML Press