Subject: Re: [dita] Publishing <topichead>

The original design would have been clearer if there had been an "abstract"
base class from which topicref, topichead, topicgroup, and the rest were
then specialized.

The explanation challenge is that you can't just say "topicref", you have to
say "topicref with @href/@keyref" or "topicref with navigation title but no
@href/@keyref" or "topicref with neither navigation title nor @href/@keyref"
as well as "topicref with @href/@keyref and processing-role of "resource".

All of the configurations are "topicrefs" in the very generic sense, but all
of these possible configurations of resource binding and navigation title
are semantically distinct in the DITA architecture.

We can use the specializations that reflect each of these configurations
informally to mean topichead vs. keydef vs. topicref but in the spec we have
to say "topicref + {qualifications}" because the base type is topicref and
the use of the specializations is not mandatory.

It would clearer to say that maps consist of sets of "map items", which may
be resource-binding items (keydef), navigation-defining-items (topichead),
navigation-position-defining items (topicref), item groups (topicgroup).

Maybe in DITA 2.0.