Subject: Re: [dita] wiki.oasis-open.org pages in search results

Thanks for reminding us, Su-Laine. The vote should only be a formalism.
--T.S. Eliot

On 1/31/2011 7:43 PM, Su-Laine Yeo wrote:
BECDDDED92C3B949A38F5BC4BF56D21F0286C673@van-mail.jena.local" type="cite"> [dita] wiki.oasis-open.org pages in search results
Hi again everyone,

There's been some good discussion recently on how to get useful information to appear closer to the top of search results. One thing that might have been lost in the shuffle is my second proposal below, to rename the TC's wiki.

The DITA Adoption TC's wiki is called "OASIS DITA Adoption TC Wiki". The DocBook TC's wiki is called "OASIS DocBook TC Wiki". The ODF Interoperability and Conformance TC's wiki is called "ODF Interoperability and Conformance (OIC) TC Wiki". Can we take a vote on Tuesday to change our wiki's name to make it jive?

Best regards,
Su-Laine

From: Su-Laine Yeo [mailto:su-laine.yeo@justsystems.com]
Sent: Mon 1/10/2011 12:00 PM
To: dita

Hi everyone,

I noticed that if I do a Google search for "DITA 1.2" without quotes,
the third result is
"wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_Specification_1.2_Requirements" and the
title of this page is "DITA_Specification_1.2_Requirements - Dita Wiki."

It is good for the working documents of TCs to be open for inspection,
but they aren't intended to be useful for the typical person who is
interested in DITA, and we don't always maintain our wiki pages to keep
them up-to-date and free of errors. What do you think of the following
ideas:

1) Ask OASIS to set the robots.txt file to indicate that
wiki.oasis-open.org/dita pages should not appear in search results.
2) Rename "Dita Wiki" to "DITA Technical Committee Wiki" to be more
descriptive and distinguish it from the other DITA wikis out there.

Su-Laine

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant
JustSystems Canada, Inc.