Subject: Question on keyref processing for <data> element

Title: Question on keyref processing for <data> element

Hi everyone,

(I'm drafting a longer response to the "Question on key resolution for complex <topicmeta> content" thread. To keep that one focused I'm splitting this question out into a different thread.)

The language reference for the <data> element (http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/langref/data.html#data) says:

The architectural specification (http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/archSpec/processing_key_references.html) says:

"For elements that in addition to @keyref or @conkeyref do specify an

@href attribute (such as author, data, data-about, image, link, lq,

navref, publisher, source, topicref, xref, and their specializations),

matching content includes all elements from within the key definition

element that are in valid context within the key reference."

The language reference says that processors should ignore <data> by default, but the architectural specfication says that it should be processed. Which is correct? If we follow the letter of the architectural specification, then if you have:

<keydef keys = "fooimage">

</keydef>

And

<topic>

<data keyref = "fooimage"></data>

</topic>

Then it would seem that processors would be required to resolve the image at the location of the <data> element in the topic, but this does not sound like it's in the spirit of the description of the language reference.

Cheers,

Su-Laine

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant