Subject: FW: [dita] Question: local content in <abbreviated-form> element with keyref

The <abbreviated-form> element has a fairly complex content model but it
should probably be empty because there are good reasons never to render
any content in it. Discussion below.

Comment?

	/Bruce

But
>you want there to be content as a fallback. So that's where your
>question actually lies.
>
>There should be no fallback in the publishing environment, there should
>be an error if the referenced <glossentry> topic can't be found.
>
>In the authoring environment, I said that according to the spec the key
>name is all you've got for fallback. There's a lot wrong with using
>local <abbreviated-form> content as a fallback. It could be quite
>misleading about the published result. You're inviting inconsistency
and
>error. You're multiplying the occurrences of words to be translated,
>because translators won't skip over them, and that can mount up to a
big
>expense. And of course it's another bit to author, each time the term
>occurs.
>
>        /B

Omitted here is the "way over the mark" reply to Su-Laine's question
"where does it say that it shouldn't be rendered?", which I include here
for completeness: