Subject: Re: [dita] Re: Analysis of 1.3 Proposals Related to Linking andAddressing

Yes--I didn't mean to imply that 13069 was about variable scope, was just
answering your question about what I meant by "variable scope".

On the subject of 13069, I'm not sure I fully understand the issue, since
the only way for a key-based address to point to an element within a topic
is for the key to be bound to the *topic*, not the document that contains
the topic.

That is, keys are bound to topic elements, not documents. The ability to
address a topic *when it is the root or first child of its containing
document* is merely a convenience and is a shortcut for direct addressing of
the topic by ID in the keyref.

Thus, if you want to address an element in a topic via keyref you need to
bind a key to the topic.

On 6/27/11 11:13 PM, "Su-Laine Yeo" <syeo@interelement.ca> wrote:

> [...]
>> implementation design.
>>
>> The way I've been thinking about this to date is using new specializations
>> within <topicmeta> to define name-to-value bindings. These name-to-value
>> bindings are "variables" in a way that keys with elements within <topicmeta>
>> are not. The binding of variables to scopes is more direct and thus more
>> obvious and also more flexible: a topicref can override bindings defined
>> within the map as a whole or within an ancestor topicref, topics can
>> override bindings defined in topicrefs. The intended behavior follows the
>> general rules for metadata cascade from maps to topics. I think this
>> approach would much more closely match most author's expectations and
>> requirements for variable text in a way that keys, by necessity, do not (and
>> cannot).
>>
>> The impetus for this idea comes from discussion revolving around Jeremy and
>> myself on the DITA Users List triggered by Jeremy's implementation of
>> submap-scoped key definitions, to which I objected (and object) strongly.
>> However, the requirements that Jeremy is trying to satisfy are certainly
>> very real and compelling and something that DITA needs to address sooner
>> rather than later, one way or another.
>>
>> I implemented a simple version of this idea in DITA for Publishers as an
>> experiment and proof of concept but the idea would need to be fleshed out
>> quite a bit before it could be presented for submission. On the other hand,
>> unlike keys, it doesn't require an architectural change to DITA to be
>> implemented because it can be done in a domain module with specific
>> semantics that relate variable definitions to variable references and its
>> relatively easy to implement using XSLT.
>>
>> Anyway, I intend to define a more complete expression of the idea as soon as
>> I have time.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> E.
>>
>> On 6/27/11 11:54 AM, "Su-Laine Yeo" <syeo@interelement.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm back on the committee as an independent member. I missed you :)
>>>
>>> Regarding proposal #13068, which was proposed by me, the main issue that the
>>> proposal is intended to fix has nothing to do with keyref. The main issue is
>>> that if you have a <topicref> pointing to a topic within a composite
>>> document,
>>> PDF output pulls in every topic from the composite document. Nobody expects
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Eliot, I don't understand what you mean by 'scoping of "variables" by use
>>> context', but I'm pretty sure that it's not what #13068 is.  Is there an
>>> earlier discussion that gives more background regarding what you're
>>> referring
>>> to?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Su-Laine
>>>
>>> Su-Laine Yeo
>>> Interelement Consulting: Communications and design for technology adoption
>>> syeo@interelement.ca
>>> landline: (604) 451-8805
>>> cell: (604) 723-9182
>>>

>>> Subject: Analysis of 1.3 Proposals Related to Linking and Addressing
>>>
>>>        ? From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
>>>        ? To: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
>>>        ? Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:30:44 -0500
>>> The following proposals are concerned primarily or significantly with
>>> linking and addressing.
>>>
>>> Terminology note:
>>>
>>> By "linking" I mean establishing relationships among elements. <topicref>
>>> and <xref> are examples of links in DITA.
>>>
>>> By "addressing" I mean the syntax and semantics of pointers to things. URLs
>>> and key references are examples of addresses.
>>>
>>> Linking may use explicit pointers or implicit relationships (queries,
>>> functions, heuristics). Addresses may be used for mechanical reasons that
>>> are not linking in this sense, such as simply connecting two elements
>>> together that serve as a single unit of data.
>>>
>>> 13001 -- Relative URLs for current topic
>>> 13002 -- More sophisticated linking into media objects
>>> 13004, 13005 -- Scoping of key definitions/references
>>> 13006 -- Override of references
>>> 13009 -- Indirection for element-to-element addresses
>>> 13022 -- Element-to-element relationship tables
>>> 13041 -- Allow specification of root scope for key references
>>> 13046 -- Allow @keyref in more places
>>> 13058 -- Reference a DITA topic in different contexts in the same map
>>> 13068 -- Say that if a topicref points to one topic in a file, a processor
>>> may include only that one topic in output.
>>> 13069 -- Allow specifying a topic ID after a key name.
>>> 13072 -- Keyref to <mapref> element