Subject: RE: [dita] Proposal for DITA 1.3

Hi Eliot,

We were able to satisfy the requirement through specialization creating the learningObjectMapRef and learningObjectMap as described below. We did have to do some tweaking to our infrastructure to support storing and authoring learningObjectMap elements as separate files.

The intention of our proposal for the TC is to consider that a standard approach. The learning and training industry has been talking about learning objects for a long time and DITA 1.2 has really aided the industry by defining what a learning object is. The only real shortcoming we have seen in the L&T specialization is a standardized approach to make learning objects exist truly as objects. This would allow tool providers to support such a feature in a standardized way and enable the easy exchange of learning objects between companies.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Myers
Knowledge Transfer Architect, Production Platform Management and Operations
Knowledge Productization Services
SAP America, Inc.
3999 West Chester Pike
Newtown Square, PA 19073 USA
T 1-610-661-5823
F 1-610-661-5824
M 1-484-802-1809

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Kimber [mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:15 AM
To: Buchholz, Thilo; dita

I agree that it would be sensible to have a mapref specifically for
references to learning object maps.

However, remember that the learning object map elements are a domain and in
the TC-provided learning map document type shell are integrated with an
otherwise generic map. So there is already the ability to use generic
<mapref> to point to maps containing only learningObject elements.

So I'm not sure the lack of a specialized learning object map reference
element is actually preventing satisfaction of the requirement.

On the other hand, the specialization is pretty trivial.

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 512.554.9368
www.reallysi.com
www.rsuitecms.com