Subject: RE: [dita] Clarification needed on attribute precedence when resolving key references

Thanks, Eliot. We treat the reference as taking for precedence for all attributes not related to the thing being referenced - @href, @scope, and @format - and we erroneously had @type on that list. We'll fix that.

I still think we need to clarify this in the spec somehow.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Kimber [mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 10:03 AM
To: Nitchie, Chris; dita

It would be nonsensical for @type on <href> to be overridden by @type on
<keydef> for two reasons:

1) They are two different domains of addressing. Key definitions are
strictly limited to maps and topics, xref is to any element that takes @id,
so the two @type domains are necessarily distinct.

2) The referencing element is saying what it expects the the ultimate target
to be. That can only be known by the referencing element--it wouldn't be
knowable or sensible or, in the case of non-topic or non-map elements,
possible to specify on <keydef>.

But I understand the precedence rules to be that the initial reference
governs, just as for conref.

On 9/19/11 8:50 AM, "Nitchie, Chris" <cnitchie@ptc.com> wrote:

> We¹ve recently had a customer issue crop up related to handling of the @type
> attribute when resolving key references. I¹m pretty sure we need to change our
> handling here, but I also think we implemented things according to the spirit
> of the spec, so I wanted to run this by the TC and get your thoughts.
>
> The situation is that when you have an xref with a keyref that specifies a
> sub-topic element ID, should the effective @type attribute come from the key
> reference or the key definition?
>
> <keydef keys=²footnotes² href=²footnotes.dita² type=²concept²/>
>
> <xref keyref=²footnotes/fn1² type=²fn²/>
>
> We¹ve always taken the position that the key referencing element¹s attributes
> take precedence over the key definition¹s except for those related to the
> reference, specifically @href, @scope, @format, and @type. It¹s pretty clear
> that the effective @scope and @format should always come from the key
> definition, but for @type it¹s not quite so obvious.
>
> I couldn¹t find any specific language in the spec for anything besides @href,
> so I think this is something that we¹ll need to clarify somehow. I think we¹re
> going to modify our processing to have the key reference¹s @type take
> precedence when a sub-topic ID is specified on the keyref. In the meantime I¹d
> appreciate any thoughts.
>
> Chris
>
>  <http://www.ptc.com/>
>
> Chris Nitchie