Subject: FW: Updated XLIFF PDF

Just to bring everyone up to date on the discussion of catalogs.

From: Rodolfo Raya <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:27:07 -0300
To: JoAnn Hackos <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>, Don Day <donday@learningbywrote.com>, Bryan Schnabel <bryan.s.schnabel@tek.com>, Gershon Joseph <gerjosep@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: Updated XLIFF PDF

Hi JoAnn,

Regarding the second bullet, a translation tool should let you indicate what elements and attributes you want to translate. A tool may ship a default configuration containing the list of standard elements from the official DITA release that are translatable, but if you create new elements in your customization you need a way to indicate those that must be translated.

I don’t care which catalog format is used for validating the DITA files, as long as it is in an open format. The official DITA distribution has DTDs, Schemas and includes a catalog in OASIS format. That catalog is an important part of the distribution and its format is open.

The rewritten text

  • validate your DITA specializations by using, for example, OASIS XML catalogs or other open standards to invoke the appropriate DTD or Schema

is OK for me.

Regards,

Rodolfo

--