Subject: Re: [dita] Issue 13041: Reminder of prior discussion

Thanks, Eliot.

There's a lot to go through here, but I think the key point for me is accomodating the case where the same content is included in both a single publication and separate publications. This is the current DITA spec case - arch and langref published both together and separately, with crosslinks resolved internally for the first case and externally for the second.

My example used a single keyspace for both, without fragment identifiers. I still think this is perfectly acceptable and should be supported.

Your example uses a separaet keyspace for one but not the other, and I'm not sure how that's managed. Is it that the author creates a map-scoped keyref either way, but the map-scoped href is simply a scoped href in the together case, but becomes a cross-keyspace reference in the second case?

If that's what you're suggesting, I think I'm comfortable with that. The only thing missing (and it's a big thing still) is the acceptance of map-based scoping in keyref, and the detailing of all the processing implications (I'm not sure how many processors maintain a record of the original map structure once an aggregated map has been created, by mapref and conref etc.). That would be under the scope of Chris's scoped keyref proposal I think.

If my understanding is correct, effectively we end up with the two scenarios roughly like this:

- in my separate-build scenario, keys are coordinated, so the build just includes a list of all addressable keys from the other deliverable at build time, and authors use keyrefs normally
- in your separate-build scenario, keys are not coordinated, but the build can still include either a full list of all addressable keys, or a short list of just the ones needed - and authors use keyrefs with map fragment identifiers to disambiguate

Both scenarios would be acceptable, and both would accomodate arbitrary build combinations.

Eliot, does that sound right?

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
To: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 11/22/2011 11:56 AM
Subject: [dita] Issue 13041: Reminder of prior discussion
Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

My last treatise on this issue is here:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201109/msg00032.html

To summarize: I think Michael's general approach of using keys to
capture/define rendition-specific addresses is sound and a useful
abstraction.

However, I still feel that providing a way to address key spaces explicitly
is essential. My post tries to explain my reasoning in detail and to define
an abstract processing model that allows us to avoid specific implementation
details while we're discussing the requirements and potential solutions.

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 512.554.9368
www.reallysi.com
www.rsuitecms.com