Subject: Re: [dita] Behavior for xref format="ditamap"

In fact, the use cases I'm exploring do not involve the Build scenario (which is predicated on resolving resources into a particular view) but rather a Discovery scenario (in which resources might be topics or maps or collections of either retrieved by API request--a query). Youtube is an example of a service that depends on both search (lists of results) and playlists (which for all the world could be maps of topicrefs to description topics) to help you find or create a queue to watch. So while my xref example looks indeterminate from a Build perspective, the Discovery perspective might see it as a request to generate a new list of resources to browse (where scope="external" might be defined as opening that result set in a new window rather than in the current (scope="local") window). Whereas the Build end use application is a PDF or content for infocenters or Help viewers, the Discovery application might be a CMS front end, or a service like YouTube, iTunes, Getty Images or Archive.org.

Along these lines, I've been mulling the pending demise of @query and realizing that a URL with a query parameter or a web service request is general enough to do the job for most access methods. The mime/media type request is part of the technical package for enabling some of these Discovery-based use cases as well. I see some interesting work ahead for the DITA4Web SC.
DITA and XML Consultant, Learning by Wrote
Co-Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
--T.S. Eliot